Register to Receive Email Phone: 215 348 4586       Fax: 215 348 5953       Email:

Watch For These Safety Issues As You Winterize Your Home This Season

Photo by Scott Webb on Unsplash

Fall is around the corner and with the seasonal change comes crisp nights and falling leaves. The Borough’s Code Department would like to remind residents to clear their gutters of leaves so that rain can properly drain away from your house.

Along with colder nights comes turning on your heater and possibly lighting a fire in your fireplace or wood stove so please be sure to have your chimney swept annually, as creosote will build up in your chimney as a result of burning. A permit is required if you are installing a heating stove or replacing your liner. A required permit brings about an inspection after the work is finished and this is for your safety and to make sure that all connections are complete and correct. A disconnected liner in your chimney can cause harm to you and your family.

Carbon monoxide is an odorless and colorless gas. It comes from anything that burns fuel. A carbon monoxide detector should be located on the lowest living space in your house. Be sure to have your heater serviced annually as a number of carbon monoxide incidents come from heaters that are not functioning properly. When starting your car to warm up in the garage, please make sure that the garage door is raised because your car emits the highest levels of carbon monoxide during the warm up period.

If you should have any questions or concerns, please do not hesitate to contact the Borough’s Code Enforcement Department by calling 215-348-4586.

Written by Mike Italia, Building Inspector / Zoning Officer