|The Bird Town Committee meets the first Monday of each month at 6:30 PM at the Borough Administrative Office located at 45 Keeley Avenue.||Chair: Tom Price
Secretary: Lori Kesilman
Council Liaison: Tom Price
Members: Cristi Charpentier, Marge Eberz, David Horne, Al Marciante, Jane McGroaty, Lucy Siegfried
Bird Towns are partnerships between the PA Audubon Society and municipalities throughout the state to promote conservation and community-based actions to create a healthier, more sustainable environment for both birds and people. The aim of the Bird Town program is to create a culture of conservation where everyone is a potential steward of nature in their own backyard. Restoration of natural systems and native plant communities for birds, butterflies, and other wildlife, on both public and private properties, has a positive impact on stormwater runoff, greenhouse gases, maintenance time, property values, community pride, and aesthetics. In 2013, New Britain Borough became the 23rd Bird Town in Pennsylvania and the ninth Bird Town in Bucks County.
Committee Duties & Responsibilities
- To serve as New Britain Borough’s representative for Audubon Pennsylvania’s Bird Town program.
- To promote and implement the goals of the Bird Town program and oversee Bird Town activities within the Borough.
- To promote conservation and community-based actions that create a healthier, more sustainable environment for both birds and people.
- To educate Borough residents about the importance of native ecosystems to birds, pollinators, and other wildlife.
- To encourage the restoration and creation of native plant communities on both public and private properties throughout the Borough.
- To encourage Borough residents and property owners to take Audubon Pennsylvania’s “Healthy Yard Pledge.”
- To encourage Borough residents to create bird and pollinator habitat in their landscapes and to register their properties in Audubon Pennsylvania’s “Bird Habitat Recognition Program.”
- To serve as an advisory body to Borough Council and the Borough’s various commissions and committees on issues related to the goals of the Bird Town program.
- Committee Agendas
- Committee Minutes
- PLEASE NOTE: The most recent meeting’s minutes are considered a draft until a motion is made at the subsequent committee meeting to approve them.
- Program Information
- Borough Council Bird Town Presentation
- Audubon Pennsylvania – Property Registration Form
- Audubon Pennsylvania – Latest News
Publications on Native Plants For Birds
- Native Plants Offer More Bugs for Birds
- Native Plants for Birds
- Native Plants for Hummingbirds
- Top 10 Natives for Butterflies and Moths
- Host Trees and Shrubs for Moths and Butterflies
- National Audubon Society
- DCNR – Native Plant Brochure
- DCNR – Native Plants for Shady Dry
- DCNR – Native Plants for Shady Moist
- DCNR – Native Plants for Sunny Dry
- DCNR – Native Plants for Sunny Moist
- The Best Trees, Plants, Vines and Shrubs to Plant for Birds: A Starter List
- 10 Native Plants for a Bird Friendly Yard
- Chickadees Guide to Gardening
- Bringing Nature Home
- Bowman’s Hill Top 10 Native Plants for Birds
- Landscaping to Create Back Yard Bird Habitat
- Native Plants for Wildlife
- Native Plants to Attract Birds
Publications on Birds